cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Sonny Sukumar" <ahimsad...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: URLs being encoded WITH cookies enabled
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:26:00 GMT

Hi all,

Joerg made a good point the other day (below) about always using URL
rewriting rather than cookies, for security reasons.  I've decided that we
should do the same, since ours will be an e-commerce site and if somebody is
using a public computer (like at a university) then closing the browser
shouldn't leave that person logged in (and hence leave their personal
account details vulnerable, even if somebody else can't place an order
without entering a credit card).

I was also wrong in saying that the URLs were being encoded whether or not
cookies are enabled--they're actually not, as I've verified today.

With all that said, how can I tell Tomcat to always encode the URLs?  It
says this in the API documentation for method encodeURL() in the interface
HttpServletResponse:

"Encodes the specified URL by including the session ID in it, or, if
encoding is not needed, returns the URL unchanged. The implementation of
this method includes the logic to determine whether the session ID needs to
be encoded in the URL. For example, if the browser supports cookies, or
session tracking is turned off, URL encoding is unnecessary."

This doc is here:
"http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.2.1/techdocs/api/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse.html#encodeURL(java.lang.String)"

Not a Tomcat-specific doc, but the behavior matches what I'm seeing.

Sonny