cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Sonny Sukumar" <ahimsad...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Topic for discussion...
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 19:15:22 GMT

>Hi,
>
>I can speak to 3 and 4, but I'll leave 1 and 2 to the more experienced list
>members.

I'd *really* appreciate the input of those experienced list members, if they
can perhaps make a couple of minutes to enlighten me.  My original email is
below...

> > 3.) Has anybody come across affordable (or, better yet, free!) tools to
>automate testing from a browser, at least with forms?  By this I mean I'd
>like to store several sets of form input data in some file and "replay"
>them by sending each in turn to the server and making sure I get the proper
>response.
>
>You might look at Latka, a project in the Apache Jakarta Commons
>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons .  It is a functional testing tool, which
>sounds like what you want.  Another idea is HTTPUnit, which is a bit lower
>level than latka.  Try Ward's wiki for current unit testing info.

Ahhhh, Latka does look like what I'm looking for.  I wish the documentation
was somewhat fuller, but I'll be thankful anyhow.  HTTPUnit seems
potentially even better, although I haven't taken a good look at it yet.

>4.) Do you think it's a good idea to validate data read out of the
>database?  I validate it before storing it and assume that nobody is
>touching the db except my app, so it seems rather foolhardy to validate it
>again.  But what do you think?
>
>I agree with you, it seems redundant to validate the data again.  However,
>if it is not a performance concern, why not leave it alone? Extra data
>vaidation doesn't hurt.

That's true, but it happens to be a performance *concern* here.  I emphasize
concern because I haven't conducted any formal tests to determine the exact
performance penalty the validation-on-read causes.

This site will be an e-commerce site, so scaling to serving high #s of
product pages (each of which involves a db read and creation of a Product
class) is a priority.  That's why I started wondering if there's a better
way.

Anyhow, thanks for help.  Your comments are always welcome.

Regards,

Sonny