cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Sonny Sukumar" <ahimsad...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: URLs being encoded WITH cookies enabled
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:25:25 GMT

Good question, Joerg.  I was told by 1 or 2 other people on this list that
the EncodeURLTransformer won't rewrite the links with the session ID if
cookies are enabled.  Thus, they said, I could use <map:transform
type="encodeURL"/> at the end of all of my pipelines with impunity.  It will
work when it needs to work, and do nothing when cookies are enabled.

So I tried it, and now I notice links are being rewritten even with cookies
enabled, both for Mozilla Firebird and for IE (IE is the most important for
us by far).

Anyhow, 2 other reasons I'd prefer URL/link rewriting not to occur when
cookies are enabled:
1.) It takes up precious time to parse a document and rewrite links.
2.) If someone closes the browser, the session is gone, whereas a cookie
still remains even after closing the browser and can be used to re-establish
the same session, provided the session is still valid on the server.

I might easily have some misunderstandings here, which is why I've tried to
explain my current understanding.  Please point out any points on which I
have erred.

Sonny