cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Eric Lennon Bowman <ebow...@boboco.ie>
Subject Re: Remote IP Detection - client detection issues
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:25:59 GMT
leo leonid wrote:

> On Freitag, August 29, 2003, at 08:15  Uhr, Jonothan Stribling wrote:
>> We use mod_proxy and Apache HTTP Server and proxy requests to Cocoon on
>> port 8080. The problem is that we need to detect the Client IP address
>> from cocoon and using request.getRemoteAddr() returns the servers IP
>> address because it is correctly identified as the client. This is not
>> terribly useful.
>>
>> Can someone advise how how we can get the actual clients IP?  Does this
>> mean we cannot use mod_proxy and instead have to use mod_rewrite?
>>

> Hm... I switched back to mod_JK,
> but I hope that someone from this list comes up with a better solution.
>
> /leo
>

>> Any advice would be appreciated.

I think mod_proxy adds an X-Forwarded-For HTTP header with the client IP
address by default.  If not, it should be easy enough to figure out how
to configure it to do so.

Note that multiple ip addresses may be tacked on if the request goes
through multiple proxies. Furthermore, X-Forwarded-For is not required,
and not all proxies will insert it.

Basically counting on access to the client's ip address is a bad idea,
unless you are in a very controlled environment, that is, not the internet.

cheers,
Eric

--
Eric Lennon Bowman