cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject [proposal] Production Build Target (was Re: Products in the Build directory?)
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:29:38 GMT
Timothy Larson wrote:
> --- Geoff Howard <cocoon@leverageweb.com> wrote:
>
>>Can you all agree on which options should define a "production build"?
>>
>>Geoff
>
> I don't know.  Lets try!
>
> I suggest that a baseline production build should:
>
>   Include all components, even scratchpad and deprecated

I'd disagree.  In a production app, I don't want scratchpad or
deprecated.  And because extra components can have performance
implications, I want only the components I'll use.  (and I do this my
self now with a pair of local.xxx.properties)

>   Exclude all samples

Agreed.

>   Exclude all documentation

Agreed (from the webapp)

>   Have an empty <map:pipelines> section in sitemap

Ok.

>   Be easy to specify includes and excludes starting
>   from this baseline configuration.

Includes and excludes of what?  If blocks, it doesn't get any easier (at
the moment) than editing a local.blocks.properties.  If the things we
just discussed above, this already exists in the first 10 lines or so of
[local.]build.properties.

> Anybody who is interested, please speak up
> with your agreement, differences, etc.

This is exactly why I asked.  I'll be surprised if people can agree on
this.  I think there may be an illusion of common requirements which on
closer examination will turn out to have mutually exclusive conflicts.
If not, I think this can be done easily in very little time.

Please, before weighing in, look over build.properties and
blocks.properties, along with
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=BuildProperties, INSTALL.txt and
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/index.html#Building+Cocoon

Geoff