cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: TraxTransformer Caching
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:25:16 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

>Quoting Joerg Heinicke <jheinicke@virbus.de>:
>

>>>The benefit of this is that all parameters are available to your
>>>stylesheet automatically, but there is a side-effect with respect to
>>>caching to consider.  With use-request-parameters, the pipeline is
>>>cached for every combination of all your request parameters which you
>>>may not want.  Say you use param1=value1&param2=value2 where this
>>>pipeline only uses param1 and another pipeline (aggregated or cincluded)
>>>uses param2.  With use-request-parameters, you will get a different
>>>cache entry for param1=value1&param2=value3 when you really don't need
>>>it.  Might not matter in your case, but something to keep in mind.
>>>
>>>Geoff
>>>

>>Hello Geoff,
>>
>>are you sure about this? Is there any difference between using request
>>parameters and passing parameters from sitemap? I always thought that
>>the parameter values passed to the stylesheet will influence the
>>caching, but that's not true. I controlled it via the StatusGenerator.
>>There is only one object per stylesheet in the store.
>>Maybe it's different for request parameters.
>>
>>Joerg
>>

>No, I'm not sure - it's been a while since I've looked into it.  Can anyone
>confirm either way?

I can confirm that, from looking at the source of the TraxTransformer,
particularly getLogicSheetParameters() which is called by getKey(), that
the code is in place to do what has been described. The code includes
all parameters to the transformer when building the key. Then, if use
request parameters is specified, it adds all request parameters to the
key. Then the same for sessions and cookies. Whether or not it works,
now that's another question.

Regards, Upayavira