cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Released - binary??
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:20:35 GMT
What I urge in relation to this subject is patience.

This subject has been discussed before, and the developers are aware of
it. The current approach is better than it was, but still far from
perfect. *And*, there is a roadmap, that plans to resolve this sort of
thing, see:

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=BlocksDefinition

We have had to focus on getting 2.1 released before we could start on
building this block system, as the block system could potentially
involve some significant hacking at the core code. Now, 2.1 has been
released, and you can expect the necessary work on blocks to start soon.

So, whilst I do (I think) understand the frustration you all experience,
please remember that Cocoon is still (and hopefully will always stay) a
work in progress. With patience, I think you'll get the system you want.

The thing to remember is that Cocoon is not like a commercial product,
where complaints to the developers can get resolution because you've
paid your fees. Cocoon is built by a network of volunteers, and where
development happens when those developers have time and interest to
implement improvements. If there is an improvement that the developers
aren't undertaking yet, suggest it, then you can either wait, or even
better, get on and do it yourself. You'll find that, if a suggestion has
had sufficient discussion first, patches will be willingly accepted.
This is how the developer community works - as a collection of free
individuals.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Upayavira