cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Released - binary??
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 07:49:36 GMT
Derek Hohls wrote:

> Stephen
>
> Thanks, yes,  I will make the effort to go and read them.
>
> But my point still stands - not everyone will have read the
> mail archives or wants to be an "on the edge" developer;

I'm pretty sure adding the link I just send to the download page won't
entice these people to check out the background of this decision as
well. ;-)

> I also think that the most large modern packages come
> in a "binary" format & that if a decision to not take this
> approach is made, it should at least be documented in a
> clear way in a "findable" location (eg. the web page where
> the download is located).

I'll see that some short explanation is added to the download pages.

> Obviously, though if the development team is aiming to make
> Cocoon more complex  for the average developer to deploy
> and use, then that is their perogative.

I don't like that last statement. We made this decision to make it
easier for people to actually *use* Cocoon, rather than just *look* at
it. Try it out for yourself and you'll see!

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org