cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Handmade XSPs?
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:44:26 GMT
Phil Shafer wrote:
> The performance page suggests hand building XSPs:
>
>   Consider turning your XSPs into Generators by hand and call them
>   directly. Of course you don't need to do this for all pages, but
>   it's recommended to it for those which are heavy loaded.
>
>   You can try it this way:
>
>   Cocoon will compile your XSP's into Java classes (see
>   tomcat/work/..../org/apache/cocoon/www/my_xsp.class). After that,
>   add the generated Generator to the Sitemap:
>
>   <map:generator type="myXSP" src="org.apache.cocoon.www.my_xsp"/>
>
>   And use it:
>   <map:generate type="myXSP"/>
>
> Is the xsp dependency checking so expensive that this
> it worth the maintenance cost is incurs?

I'm not aware of anyone having benchmarked it.  My gut feeling is that I
could shave some unnecessary objects and less than optimal code off the
auto-generated version by either starting from scratch or working with
the generated java and hacking away.  How much that would get is
anyone's bet.  When I was developing for a high traffic site I felt
better creating the Generator myself, but since when working on
lower-traffic code I've been happy with XSP.

> Is there more
> going on that just stat()ing the xsp file and the logicsheet
> it references?

You'd have to confirm this independently, but I think it's doing a
delayed refresh check on getLastModified() of the file and its
dependencies.  Shouldn't be too bad.

> Is there a build-time option to precompile
> XSPs without doing it by hand?

Yes I think but you'll need to dig it out yourself.

Hope that helps,

Geoff