cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: How to use stores for persistence
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:49:19 GMT
Olivier Billard wrote:
> Hi Geoff,
>
> I'm using a modified version of the workflow component of the krysalis
> project.
> I want to store persistently states of this workflow, these states could
> bo modelized as beans (java objects with attributes to be precise).
> These objects could be numerous (a thousand ?). I'm looking for the best
> manner to store these objects :
>  - database mapping (the best solution I think) with light memory store
> (caching ? complete light model ?)
>  - excalibur store (filesystem access = overload ?)
>
> And I'm wondering if the store defined in the cocoon.xconf is ready to
> use for client app or if it is already used by Cocoon components...
>
> I hope I'm clear ;)

You are clear.   I'd advise you toward the database mapping.  There are
examples popping up of using tools like Hibernate to abstract that if
you like, or you can use straight jdbc.

The Store you see in cocoon.xconf is used internally by Cocoon for
caching pipeline results and parsed transformers, etc.  While you can
use it for application storage I'd recommend against it - I don't know
of anyone else who has used it that way (if you're out there and have,
speak up and let us know how it worked).  I could give more info on why
I'd recommend against if you need it.

Geoff