cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoegg <rho...@isisnetworks.net>
Subject Re: Topic for discussion...
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2003 11:27:06 GMT
Hi,

I can speak to 3 and 4, but I'll leave 1 and 2 to the more experienced
list members.

 > 3.) Has anybody come across affordable (or, better yet, free!) tools
to automate testing from a browser, at least with forms?  By this I mean
I'd like to store several sets of form input data in some file and
"replay" them by sending each in turn to the server and making sure I
get the proper response.

You might look at Latka, a project in the Apache Jakarta Commons
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons .  It is a functional testing tool,
which sounds like what you want.  Another idea is HTTPUnit, which is a
bit lower level than latka.  Try Ward's wiki for current unit testing info.

4.) Do you think it's a good idea to validate data read out of the
database?  I validate it before storing it and assume that nobody is
touching the db except my app, so it seems rather foolhardy to validate
it again.  But what do you think?

I agree with you, it seems redundant to validate the data again.
However, if it is not a performance concern, why not leave it alone?
Extra data vaidation doesn't hurt.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks