cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>
Subject RE: [ANN] Apache Cocoon 2.1 Released - binary??
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2003 08:07:19 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Yes, the blocks are in their own jars.  I'm OK with that, but that
> really isn't an issue for me.  I simply meant that when building from
> source, since you have the option of excluding blocks the output could
> all go in one jar. With binaries you'd be required to separate them out
> (as is currently done) so people could remove ones they don't want if
> they choose.
>
> The config and webapp files are the real problem.

Aha. This is an issue to be addressed in the next version. Lets explain:

AFAIK, the current "blocks" are just separated and have some independence.
This is a first step in to the road to the real blocks. Please see this
mail from Stefano, there is a description of what you are saing and how
this is intended to be solved:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102528398016325&w=2
(search for: "A step up: Blocks as cocoon application components").

> Please enlighten me. I did a build where the only block I built was
> html. I still got all the samples - except the only blocks sample
> present was html. I also got a bunch of jars in WEB-INF/lib that I am
> sure I don't need.

I agree, the current build.xml is not perfect. There are some problems
that need to be solved with samples. But currently total separation
(independence) of blocks is more important.

But on the other side: do you need the samples into your application? I
think no. The samples are there just to show how powerfull is Cocoon.

>> - The documentation is easy to exclude with the new build.
>
> Why would I want to exclude the documentation?  I just don't want it in
> my webapp, but I sure need it to write my Cocoon components.

Nice point :).

Currenlty, I think you can build the documentation for developing
purposes. And then (when you finish) you do the final build of your
application without the docs. This is the usual way to build applications.

But I agree with you, the docs must be builded as a independent target or
project.

> I don't want to clean or insert anything else. I build all my stuff in
> my own project using Maven.  We just want to bring in the cocoon
> framework and use our own web.xml and cocoon configuration files.  I
> NEVER WANT TO TOUCH the cocoon.xconf and sitemap.xmap that are built
> with cocoon.

You always need to touch the sitemap.xmap to build cocoon applications.
Sometimes you also need to touch your cocoon.xconf.

>> Here is an outline of my own build:
>
> Pardon me for being rude, but I really don't care.  I will not integrate
> my project into cocoon (i.e - use Cocoon's build to build my webapp). I
> WILL integrate the cocoon framework into my project.

This is another history and a non-usual approach using cocoon. I think
this is why you think cocoon is complex. I invite you to find the way how
to do the integration.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo