cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Michael Vennera <mike_venn...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: XML-Based Reporting Application, Design?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:26:26 GMT
I've also built a reporting app using Cocoon, using
XSP to pull back the data from Oracle and then
transforming it into either a PDF report or a CSV
file. A couple of tips from my experience:

- If your report includes any grouping, order your SQL
query by those fields. That way you can use an
<xsl:for-each> and compare each row to the previous
one to determine when you have a new value. (Much
simpler than the Meunch method)

- Rather than using svg, you can create a simple
histogram by setting the height attribute of a series
of bar images imported via <fo:external-graphic>

- If your reports are large, there are a couple of
things you can do to improve efficiency: (1) use
XSLTC, (2) keep the XML generated by the XSP as lean
as possible, (3) keep your XSL-FO as small as possible
by placing formatting attributes as "high-up" in the
element hierarchy as possible.

Hope this helps,

Mike
mike_vennera@yahoo.com