cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Julian <cerebr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Confused About Perfomance Issues (but not as much)
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:52:13 GMT
Geoff,

This week is hectic and I do not think I will have
time to sit down and really improve the performace.
When I get around to it, I'll probably ask a few more
questions and then make a wiki.

Thanks,
Julian

--- Geoff Howard <cocoon@leverageweb.com> wrote:
> Julian wrote:
> > Geoff,
> >
> > Thanks for the help! I see about a second and a
> half
> > performance boost (10.29s to 8.87s) on startup.
> The
> > longest to respond is a sitemap with various XSP's
> and
> > a fop2pdf generator (12.35 sec).  I have two more
> > issue though in light of your tips:
>
> Very glad to hear it - I'd think you'll be able to
> get that down quite a
> bit more.  See more comments below.
>

> > <questions>
> > 1) Should I "declare" the components only in the
> > sitemap that uses them or is the performance the
> same
> > when they are "declared" in the base sitemap (not
> > "declared" in sub-sitemap)?
>
> I don't know if sitemap components are loaded lazily
> or not in the tree
> processor (2.1), but it would be an easy experiment.
>  You may be able to
> find hints in the logs (if you turn logging up to
> debug).
>
> That reminds me.  Logging is by default turned to
> ERROR (WARN?) now in
> 2.1 which was not the case with earlier versions, or
> earlier in 2.1 cvs.
>   But web.xml has an additional config for logging
> during startup.  I
> think this may be left to debug by default, and you
> may want to
> experiment with startup times with it changed.
>
> > 2) Are JSP/XSP sources compiled everytime the
> server
> > is restarted? If so, will getting my hands on the
> > class generated and "generating" it otherwise
> improve
> > the performace?
> > </questions>
>
> They should not be recompiled on server restart
> (though I'm not sure
> about JSP within Cocoon if called from the JSP
> reader or generator).
> You need to make sure though that your servlet
> container is not deleting
> the work directory on startup or shutdown.  ( I
> think I recently
> discovered that Jetty does this).  If it is, they
> will be recompiled
> because the class file will be missing.  You can fix
> this either by
> changing config on the servlet container or by
> changing Cocoon's work
> directory to one that isn't getting deleted.  The
> same by the way goes
> with the cache directory.
>
> Your idea to get the pregenerated class file will
> work - though I'm not
> sure if XSP engine uses the same class loader, or if
> it only looks in
> the configured work directory.  This will change
> where you would need to
> put it to avoid recompiling.
>
> Also, the build process has a step that is supposed
> to precompile XSPs.
>   You may not want to rebuild the entire cocoon
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
Live simply so others may simply live.

-Ghandi

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate.
"Entities should not be multiplied unneccesarily"

-William of Occam