cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Siraj Shakil <shakilsi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to save uploaded files?
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 03:30:26 GMT
Hello Sonny,

Well, i faced the same problem that you do .. so wrote
a file uplaoder logicsheet that can handle uploads for
"autosave-uploads" set to both true or false.

Here is a sample code:

<file-uploader:upload-file param-name="upload_file">
<text><file-uploader:get-uploaded-file-name/></text>
<file-uploader:rename-to>
<file-uploader:new-file-name>/tmp/whatever.binary</file-uploader:new-file-name>
</file-uploader:rename-to>
<file-uploader:delete-uploaded-file/>
</file-uploader:upload-file>

And it also works for multiple file uploads to the
same XSP page.

I can give you the code if you want, for
documentation, i havn't finished it yeat, will do
ASAP. But i am sure you can get the functions looking
at the code.

By the way, is there any way i can donate this code to
cocoon project? i need some guidelines since i am no
good with CVS.

Answers to few of your questions:

Yes, you have to save the file at the server anyway to
show it in a browser. If you want to have a reference
to the image later on from the webpage, you have to
pass a form variable with the value set to the file
name. i.e. if i save a temporary file name and want to
show it i write HTML code like <input tupe="hidden"
name="tmp_file" value="123123123.jpg"/>. Then i simply
look into the HTTP variable to get the file name
submitted XSP page.

There is no way the webserver will know if someone is
done previewing. So one way is to delete the file when
someone clicks on a link "I am done" or you can write
a script that will look into the folder and delete any
file which has exceeded a certain amount of time, lets
say 30 mins? Then you simply use any scheduler
programs i.e. CronD, windows schedular, etc. and call
that script time to time:>. saves a lot of hassle.

So, give me a buzz if you need the code. Best of luck.

Best regards,
Shakil