cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Scott Warren" <sco...@ocom.com.au>
Subject RE: XML-Based Reporting Application, Design?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:35:40 GMT
I have done something very similar. I used XSP to generate a "document"
then used various stylesheets to output html, xls etc. This worked very
well. I didn't use anything other than Cocoon to get the data. It's fast
and the very flexiable. A PDF output would be great but time/money
stopped us from doing that. Also there is talk in the future of having
Graphs in the reports later on.

Regards

Scott Warren
Ocom Software
... Exceeding Quality.....
email | mailto:scottw@ocom.com.au
web | ocom.com.au

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Sexton [mailto:jsexton@odshp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 20 August 2003 9:30 AM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: XML-Based Reporting Application, Design?

We'd like to built an application that uses data from a database to
create
XML, which can be transformed to various forms.  A significant amount of
coding will be required to create the XML (otherwise I'd just place SQL
in
an xsp), so I think a separate servlet will make more sense.  My thought
is to create a servlet that outputs type text/xml, call the servlet from
sitemap, transform and serialize as needed.

This leads to some specific design questions...

1) Best why to build an XML document in the servlet?  JDOM?

2) Is there a better way to tie together the cocoon pipeline with the
data source than having a URL called in the sitemap?  Afterall it will
all be running under the same Tomcat...

We're very happy with the way Cocoon has worked for other, simpler
applications.  But for this one we perhaps should look at more advanced
features.  And we have not done any significant amout of XML generation
from java, so I'd like to hear some about how others are doing this.

Thanks!

-----
The ODS Companies
Jeff Sexton
Information Services
(503) 228-6554   x1024
http://www.odscompanies.com

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity
to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended
addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose
or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the
message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.