cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: ChartTransformer, endorsed libs, Tomcat
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:16:21 GMT
You both seem to have strange problems with those XML libraries which I
don't have in general.

1. JDK 1.3 can't cause any problems in theory because it does not
provide any XML library. If you have problems, something else must be
the reason.

2. Be sure, that in TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed are *exactly the same*
libraries as in COCOON_HOME/WEB-INF/lib. And this does only work if you
use the default startup scripts delivered with TOMCAT. If you don't use
them you have to add
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/your/path/to/the/endorsed/libs when starting the
Java process. This is the option TOMCAT sets in its start scripts to
TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed.
If you switch between Xalan/Xerces versions you must exchange the
libraries both in TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed and COCOON_HOME/WEB-INF/lib.

3. Test if you really use the XML libraries you think, use Xalan's
environment check for it:
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/faq.html#faq-N1005C. Try the stylesheet,
it's easier. Of course you must use Xalan for it, not XSLTC. XSLTC does
not support Xalan extension function which is used for the environment
check.

4. The hardest test for XSLT processors I know are the DocBook
stylesheets. If a Xalan version works with those stylesheets it's
/approved/. ;-) I don't see a difference between both (using Xalan, not
XSLTC), both have a bug with the auto index generation. But of course if
you use any specific thing that has changed between both versions, it's
possible that 2.5.1 has problems that 2.4.1 does not have. But for most
use cases it works, so Cocoon uses the most recent ones. If you have a
specific problem, then you must switch back to the old version in your
installation; we can't force all users to switch back. Furthermore this
helps the Xalan team to fix recent bugs. If you think you know of one,
post it at bugzilla.

5. More stuff to read:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=NoMoreDtmIdError
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=EndorsedLibsProblem (including
an alternative for never having any endorsed libs problem anymore :-) )

6. The stacktrace is typical for endorsed libs problem - and often seen.

Regards,

Joerg