cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Marco Stolpe <firegl...@gmx.net>
Subject How to redirect XSL output to more than one file?
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:52:27 GMT
Hi,

I'm rather new to Cocoon and XSL, but already have used Xalan together
with DocBook stylesheets to produce HTML and PDF documents. Having read
some of Cocoons online documentation and searched the mailing list
archive there still remains the following question.

Let us assume I have created a rather huge document (a book, thesis,
whatever) I'd like to publish on the web. A user visiting the web site
should be able to view the document online in HTML-format, download the
HTML version as a compressed ZIP-file or download one single PDF file.

It's clear to me that I can produce one single PDF file with Cocoon, but
how can I produce an online (or zipped download) version distributed
among several output files in HTML format? It would be painful for any
reader to look at one single HTML file consisting of maybe a hundred of
pages. I'm not only interested in a solution for DocBook, but a general
one. For example, it would be nice to create a presentation consisting
of several slides in one XML file, but only to show one single slide on
screen.

One solution which came to my mind was to use XSP together with fields
in a query string pointing to the portion of the document the user likes
to read. But I'm asking myself if this is the best solution available,
since using XSP wouldn't be a very portable solution, would it?
Moreover, could I still produce a static version of the document
(consisting of several files) using Cocoon from the command line with XSP?

Thanks in advance for any help/hint,

Marco