cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Cocoon for CD-Rom based applications?
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:24:58 GMT
Of course, there are the "legal niceties" - from the
Knoppix site:

"IF YOU PLAN TO COMMERCIALLY USE OR DISTRIBUTE (AND SELL)
 THE SOFTWARE, YOU HAVE TO ACQUIRE THE NECESSARY LICENSES
AND PERMISSIONS FROM ALL SOFTWARE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OF
NON-FREE SOFTWARE COMPONENTS, OR REMOVE THESE
COMPONENTS BEFORE DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE."

This means that for anyone making commercial use of this
(and I assume the original need around making use of this
inside a bank constitutes a "commercial use" ;-) means
some of the apps could not be included (prob not an issue).

Also, the Knoppix download is for an 'iso' image of the CD -
as you say, "someone" will have to modify the distribution,
so that tomcat, cocoon and your app is included and autostarted.

The other downside is, I guess, that the users then no longer
have access to their regular apps (prob. on Wind*ze) in many
cases...

All in all, the ideal would be a CD that does not require rebooting
into a "foreign" O/S.

Just my 2c on this
Derek

>>> alasan@gmx.at 18/06/2003 10:53:11 >>>
o.k. this might be a wild idea, but I have some additional suggestion:

would it be acceptable for the clients to reboot the system before using
the product?

In this case (and Linux know-how required) you could try the following:

(1) get knoppix linux

(2) modify the distribution, so that tomcat, cocoon and your app is
included and autostarted!

(3) boot from this CD/DVD and thats it: no installation required, no
harddisk space.

advantages:
-- you could access the complete linux environment including things like
mySQL databases
-- no manipulation on the user system required
-- you have the setup completly under control

disadvantages:
-- good Linux know-how required
-- small risk with hardware detection problems of Knoppix
-- system has to be rebooted

Alex

believed to be clean.