cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Sonny Sukumar" <ahimsad...@hotmail.com>
Subject Best practices for validating request params?
Date Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:19:35 GMT

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the best way is to validate request parameters.  I have
a few questions:

1.) What is the best way to validate the *existence* of all expected request
params (both for simple queries and for posting form data)?

By this, I mean I'd ideally like to notify the client if any request param
wasn't sent.  I was thinking I could write a dedicated action to do this
validation before another action extracts/formats the values.

2.) Do you think it is even a good practice to take the time/effort/cpu
power to validate that all expected request params were sent and notify the
client if they were not?

Otherwise, my action that extracts/formats the values would just end up
throwing things like NullPointerExceptions, NumberFormatExceptions, etc.
when it tries to extract/format the values.  This doesn't seem very elegant
at all to me, even if I do wrap them in ProcessingExceptions before throwing
them.

One other reason I don't want to throw these seemingly odd and random
exceptions is because they'll just give a stack trace that says my code
failed on Line XXX.  On my team we have another development group that is
working on buiding the actual XHTML webpages and making sure they work with
the backend.  So these sorts of exceptions and stack traces won't help them
at all to figure out what went wrong.  If I notify them they forgot a param,
they can say "Oh , I forgot to pass the XYZ param--that's why it's failing"
and fix their XHTML code in short order.

I'm interested to hear all of your thoughts!

Thanks,

Sonny