cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Again: "forgotten" namespaces problem
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:12:07 GMT
At 08:02 AM 6/3/2003, you wrote:
>Conal Tuohy wrote:
>>>Why not just add a parameter which removes them or not, big
>>>deal.  No reason
>>>for Yet Another Class.
>>>
>>>Why provide an _option_ for people to output invalid HTML?
>>
>>Seriously, isn't it _always_ a bug to output namespaces in the HTML? What
>>are the use cases for HTML + namespaces?? Is anyone actually using this
>>"feature" to output HTML with namespace attributes for some obscure purpose?
>this is what I try to argue for days. some think obviously that it should
>be possible to produce invalid HTML, I  do not know why. however, I would
>be really glad if it would be possible to generate valid HTML
>automatically without needing to write additional stylesheets...

I understood the debate to be over whether the html is invalid or not - not
whether to allow invalid html.  Still, IIUC the fix is about a
10 line patch to HTMLSerializer which anyone can do.  If you're not a
committer, submit a patch to bugzilla.  If no one gets to it, I can try
to over the next week - but I've got a lot of irons in the fire all at
once right now.

Geoff