cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Schatten <ala...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Cocoon for CD-Rom based applications?
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:16:27 GMT
Ramsey, Alan wrote:

> Can we run Cocoon without Tomcat (or similar servlet engine?) - I know
> there is a CLI, but does this eliminate the need for a servlet
> engine?  - OR - Do we need to find some way to deploy the servlet
> engine on the client's computer?

the main issue is, if you need the dynamic features of Cocoon.The CLI
can obviously only generate the statical aspects. if you make database
queries, or XSP queries with post form actions and the like it is hardly
possible to make a statical website out of it.

If you use Cocoon to access various sources like XML and databases, but
the result is mainly "statical" you can use any webspider to generate an
offline version out of it and serve this from CD Rom.

But as you wrote of Delphi and the like, I assume you need dynamic
actions and then a running Cocoon instance would be required. To repeat
from the beginning: I think you definitly would need some installation
procedure that installs a JVM and tomcat/cocoon locally... and I doubt
that this is very practical for a CD Rom presentation.

Alex