cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Cocoon: presentation tier + J2EE EJB business tier --- a
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 06:26:17 GMT

> I came across an article by Ovidiu Predescu
> (http://www.webweavertech.com/ovidiu/weblog/index.html)  discussing a
> topic originated by Eric van der Vlist
> (http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/07/26/xslt/xsltstyle.html) which
> appears to address this design approach.  Are you familiar with this
> pattern?  What are your thoughts?

Very interesting reading. And, this approach can be extended, to ease the lives of
Dreamweaver-bound designers.

Why use your own XML markup to add your XSLT elements? Why not use a
combination of HTML and CSS? For example:

Then, your div[@class='repeat-books'] node gets replaced with an xsl:for-each, and
your span[@id='book-title'] with an xsl:value-of, etc. The text within the spans will be
discarded, and is provided simply for the designer's convenience.

Then, you use an HTML generator followed by an XSLT transform to make your
XSLT stylesheet ready for use.

Now that strikes me as clever, and really useful.

What do the rest of you think?

Regards, Upayavira