cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Schatten <ala...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Serious Encoding Problems (Umlaute)
Date Sat, 07 Jun 2003 10:54:17 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 6/06/2003 11:55 Alexander Schatten wrote:
>
>> and moreover: I do not understand why this iso setting is not the
>> default setting: because it works with all characters english as well
>> as german... so why not use this one as default, would be less
>> confusing for all, no?
>

> How about all these people _not_ using a classical anglosaxonroman
> language?
>
> </Steven>

This is simple: they have to select another encoding.

Wasn't my argument clear? Again:

(1) UTF-8 practically only works for english texts, and does not work
with ae oe ue and so on

(2) ISO-8850-1 works for Western-Europe AS WELL AS for english texts:
Hence this is no disadvantage for all english speaking users, but an
advantage for Western European ones

At least, if I do understand the encoding correctly, albeit I might have
a basic misunderstanding here. However, if those assumptions are true,
it seems to be *very* logic to use iso encoding as default, particularly
also, because Cocoon has a strong European basis.

Alex