cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Schatten <ala...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Can't seem to load Firebird driver
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:40:54 GMT
Nier, Nikolai wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm using cocoon 2.04 with Tomcat 4.1. I'm quite new to cocoon, so I hope this hasn't
been discussed before - I've checked the mail archive and there was some discussion re. Firebird
but it seems that mine is a different problem, as the driver isn't loaded in the first place.

>I have successfully set up and used an Oracle DB connection before, and now I'm trying
to use a Firebird DB.

even if it might be off-topic. but if there is not a very good reason
for using Firebird, I would not recommend it. We tried to use it in the
last projects and had a lot of problems.

Not with the database itself, but the development process seems to be
chaotic and the documentation is extremly bad, support hardly available.
I expected a lot of it, but now I am pretty dissapointed.

So if there is not any other reason why to use it, take PostgreSQL or
mySQL. Both are meanwhile also available as Windows versions, which
might be intersting for development purposes, but the server will
obviously be Linux, so I can recommend both of them.

Alex