cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Schatten <ala...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Again: "forgotten" namespaces problem
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 12:51:26 GMT
Emmanuil Batsis (Manos) wrote:

> I'm not convinced either. HTML is a legacy format. Most of us only use
> it instead of XHTML when we need to brake it anyway (via custom
> elements etc).

(1) HTML is definitly no legacy format in my opinion

(2) even IF HTML would be a legacy format, the serializer would not work
correctly:

I mean would you accept the argument of a car mechanician telling you:
"the brakes in your car do just work sometimes, but dont worry, your car
is 4 years old, hence a legacy car, so we do not think it is worth doing
good engineering for brakes needed in this series of cars; simply buy a
new car"

not really convincing, is it?

I mean, IMHO you have two decisions (under the assumption that HTML
would be a legacy format) I would agree with:

(a) do not support HTML any longer, do not put HTML serializer into the
package, do not put it anywhere to download

(b) put HTML serializer into the package, but then a serious engineering
should be done. Everyone may decide to do something, to support legacy
formats or not, but if you do, do it correctly.

Again: if there is no one having time or capabilities to fix it, it is
clear to accept this in an open source environment, but "legacy format"
is *definitly* no argument.

Alex