cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Ramsey, Alan" <Alan.Ram...@ThomsonMedia.com>
Subject RE: Cocoon for CD-Rom based applications?
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:40:10 GMT
Hi Stavros,
Thanks for your response,

>> I used JDK, Jetty and Cocoon some time ago on CD. Works perfectly. You
can also use
>> HypersonicSQL as SQL-DB, it has a read-only mode.

I haven't looked at HypersonicSQL - yet - but I did spend a little time
browsing the Jetty site yesterday.  It definately looks very promising.  I
also found some references to using EmbeddedTomcat so that tomcat could be
embedded within another application - which could make sense as well.

>> The problem is the performance. As Java uses a lot of small files the
startup takes a
>> while and the cd-rom works permanently.
>>
>> I think the best way is to say the users: To boost performance just copy
the files to
>> HD and start it from there....

I agree in principal, that is why I mentioned that moving the program files
to the hard-drive generally becomes a more important requirement than the
"you are not allowed to install software on the client" requirement.  The
issue of licensing is still a concern that we will need to investigate.
-alan