cocoon-users mailing list archives

From <christian.ru...@daimlerchrysler.com>
Subject generic forms handling - looking for solution hints
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:13:26 GMT
Hi -

I'm looking for a solution for a form handling problem. I'm beginner to cocoon
and would appreciate
any hint.

I extract an xml fragment like the following from a relational database. The
structure is
not static.

<asset>
	<id />
	<title />
	<description />
	<keywords>
		<keyword>
			<id/>
			<word/>
		</keyword>
	</keywords>
</asset>

I would like to present the user a html form with checkboxes for each element
in the structure. The generation of this form via xslt is easy and no problem.
To make the form elements (checkboxes) unique, I use
   <xsl:number level="multiple"...
to name the checkbox fields.

The problematic part for me is the form submission. I would like to get an xml
struct
like...

<asset read="true">
	<id read="false" />
	<title read="true" />
	<description read="true" />
	<keywords read="true">
		<keyword read="true">
			<id read="false"/>
			<word read="true" />
		</keyword>
	</keywords>
</asset>

with the attribute values set according to the checkboxes. I would like to
write this
XML fragment as a blob back to the database.

How could this be accomplished with cocoon in a generic way - the
structure/elements
are dynamic and may change.
Writing an action with a DOM tree of the structure seems not very effective to
me.
Writing a custom transformer which fills in the form values to the source
structure
seems to be one solution, but how could I store the complete XML fragment in
the database
when using a SAXTransformer.
Is there a more elegant solution?

Tanks - regards -