cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Sonny Sukumar" <ahimsad...@hotmail.com>
Subject A short lesson learned...
Date Sat, 03 May 2003 06:09:23 GMT

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share a short (and perhaps obvious to many of you by now)
lesson.  I'm fairly new to developing web applications and to using Apache
Tomcat and Apache Cocoon, so I modified the Tomcat classpath in
$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/setclasspath.sh to where I wanted Cocoon to find some of my
Java class files.

This actually worked for quite sometime, and then it stopped working.  It
turns out I had some of Java class files packaged in a JAR in the
$COCOON_HOME/WEB-INF/lib (as it should be) and the other Java class files
needed by those Actions were in the Tomcat class path.  Definitely a newbie
type of mistake, and I agonized over ProcessingExceptions being thrown
saying Avalon/Cocoon classes couldn't be found when my actions were being
loaded as part of generating the sitemap.

I eventually remembered that I altered the Tomcat classpath, deleted my
modification, packaged ALL my Java class files into a single JAR in
$COCOON_HOME/WEB-INF/lib, restarted Tomcat, and I stopped getting the
errors.

Now, I still can't tell you why I really got the errors in the first place,
as everything *was* working fine for awhile.  I'm not really sure how
altering the Tomcat classpath instead of just putting class files in the
WEB-INF/classes or WEB-INF/lib directories for the specific web app changes
things that much.  If anyone can explain this to me in more detail, please
do. :-)

Anyhow, I don't think I'll be messing with the Tomcat classpath for my web
app's sake anytime soon.  That's what I learned from this ordeal.

All the best in your Cocoon dev efforts,

Sonny