cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Milo Hyson <m...@cyberlifelabs.com>
Subject Re: cocoon + struts
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 20:33:26 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Vendredi, 2 mai 2003, à 17:09 Europe/Zurich, Yan, Charlene a écrit :
>
>> ...My question is how difficult it is to marry cocoon with struts in
>> this case.
>

> If cocoon can do an HTTP request to your application and receive XML
> data, it is very easy to use it as a front-end to generate other
> formats from this XML. The Cocoon FileGenerator can read XML directly
> from any URL.
>
> For an example see "Dynamic XML data" in
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/howto/howto-html-pdf-publishing.html

The only problem with this approach is that it puts Cocoon in control --
Cocoon receives the initial browser request and "proxies" to the Struts
app for content. It also requires the Struts app to output all data in
XML, effectively coupling it to a particular form of presentation. In
the thread "Using Cocoon exclusively for the V in MVC" I've been
discussing the use of Cocoon purely as a presentation engine in a Struts
application. I think that is a more flexible method since it does not
tie your app down to any single way of doing things.

--
Milo Hyson
CyberLife Labs