cocoon-users mailing list archives

From cumming...@netscape.net (Steven Cummings)
Subject Re: Using Cocoon exclusively for the V in MVC
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:09:13 GMT
Milo,

Well yes. Sorry, I was assuming that scenario, where you start with the cocoon webapp, trim
it down (or at least the sitemap), throw your servlets into WEB-INF/classes or a jar in WEB/INF/lib,
and then add them to the servlets and servlet-mappings in web.xml so that they are matched
before CocoonServlet. As for accessing the session from cocoon, this should be pretty simple
except that I don't know if Cocoon sessions are an abstraction over servlet sessions (in which
case you can probably still access the real session from Cocoon's session class) or whether
they directly uses keys in the real session. Those details depend on how exactly you're using
Cocoon for presentation, whether it be XSP, XSLTs, or custom transformers.

/S

Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com> wrote:

>Steven Cummings wrote:
>
>>Milo,
>>
>>It seems to me that you should be able to have the cocoon app, but in web.xml, map
servlets other than the cocoon servlet so that these others run normally. Anything else should
be run by cocoon. I once did this to have the regular JSP servlet run JSPs (not through cocoon)
and everything else by cocoon. But if your sitemap accesses any of these non-cocoon resources
you'll probably have to give a URL in the file-generator because of course cocoon won't find
the resource via the cocoon: protocol. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. HTH.

>All I need is to be able to set up context, session and request
>attributes in an external Servlet and access them from a Cocoon
>pipeline. Essentially, I want to use Cocoon as a replacement for JSPs.
>
>Since Cocoon is shipped in a WAR file, would I not have to extract the
>files in order to gain access to the web.xml?
>
>--
>Milo Hyson
>CyberLife Labs

Steven Cummings