cocoon-users mailing list archives

From David Kavanagh <...@dotech.com>
Subject Re: Background Task Management
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:53:12 GMT
As I'm using it, I'm tweaking things to work better. Right now, the
background pipeline gets parameters from the pipeline that contained the
action that launched the thread. Because I'm not using cocoon-2.1, I
haven't launched background pipelines via timer. I need some way to get
a SourceResolver and 2.1 is supposed to make that available from the
ComponenetManager. So, I haven't resolved that issue yet. Right now, I'm
also leaving it up to the task to deliver some results in a form the
rest of the app can use. This could be updating status in a database,
writing a file (containing the pipeline results), sending a message (we
have JMX based message center in our app). I'm trying to keep the task
stuff I wrote very basic and highly configurable and flexible. That
means I try to make as few assumptions about the task being performed as
possible.
Well, we'll see how it goes. It would be nice if this turns into
something I can contribute back.

David

Upayavira wrote:

>David,
>
>I've a direct need for something like this myself. I haven't read your email in detail
yet
>(will do tomorrow).
>
>The approach I've been taking is to gradually bring the command line interface up to
>speed. Then, when it is close enough to what I need, I'll start thinking about the
>application that'll run it.
>
>>>From my cursory look, I wonder if there isn't a lot of similarity with Ant in
your doc -
>might it be easier to build upon Ant than to start from scratch?
>
>Will try to say more tomorrow.
>
>Upayavira
>

>>The following is from a doc I wrote about some code I put together to
>>handle background thread processing in cocoon apps. I wonder if there
>>is enough need for something like this to consider giving it back to
>>the community. I'm including the doc instead of code because it is
>>easier to give an overview that way. I'd really like to hear back
>>about this (especially from those who drive cocoon development).
>>
>>David
>>

>>GenericTaskManager
>>
>>Introduction
>>
>>The GenericTaskManager is a class that controls some number of user
>>defined tasks. These tasks are initiated by firing an event, or by
>>time trigger. This document describes the architecture of this system
>>and how it fits into a cocoon application.
>>
>>Design Overview
>>
>>This package has been designed to integrate with a cocoon application
>>and provide a way to kick of background tasks and have  cron-like
>>functionality, but in java. Avalon classes and interfaces were
>>utilized heavily in the design. Tasks and their time triggers are
>>defined in a tasks.xconf file. Two actions are provided that can also
>>start background tasks.
>>
>>Configuration File
>>
>>The tasks.xconf file lists tasks, optional time triggers and optional
>>configuration particular to the task. Here s an example.
>>
>><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>><tasks version="1.0">
>><task-list>
>><task name="test1" classname="com.pfizer.mbr.tasks.TestTask">
>><!-- Several time elements can be here to specify multiple
>>invocation criteria -->
>><time type="periodic"> <!-- values in milliseconds -->
>><offset>0</offset>
>><period>2000</period>
>></time>
>><!-- this task happens at 1 am, every day -->
>><time type="cron">
>><minute>0</minute>
>><hour>1</hour>
>><day>-1</day>
>><month>-1</month>
>><year>-1</year>
>><day week="false"/>
>></time>
>><!-- this block contains config details specific to this task -->
>><task-config> <test>hey!</test> </task-config> </task>
<!--This task