cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Kris Rasmussen <kriscoc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: database caching
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:54:53 GMT

I realize my approach is somewhat reversed, however, in pages that are accessed and change
often it seems like it might be necessary to obtain acceptable performance. For example, if
I had a poll on a home page that changes every second or so, it would be a huge waste to output
the current value of the poll (a single number) every time the page is accessed and then regenerate
the xml for the whole page and then transform it all again. Rather, it seems that it would
be much more efficient if the call to the database was put off until the entire page was transformed
and cached first. I realize this is possible to do with cocoon with transformers, however
I was curious if there was any way to do it with esql and xsp.
Please correct me if I am wrong, or if this added complexity for high traffic pages is not
necessary.
Kris
 Leszek Gawron <ouzo@vip.net.pl> wrote:
On wto, kwi 01, 2003 at 12:43:29 -0800, Kris Rasmussen wrote:

> How does cocoon handle caching of xsp pages with esql tags? It seems to me that cocoon
would have to generate the xml output of the xsp page every time the page is called, and thus
would be unable to cache any xsl translation latter? Is this true? If so would it not be a
better idea to have the page be translated into html before all database code is called and
then insert the database code at the very end and output as a jsp page or something?
Is that the way other server side frameworks do? Remember that the most
important thing is data, which is being generated at the beginning and then
the presentation is applied. Your approach is completely reversed.

Take look at Velocity - maybe it could solve your problems
ouzo

--
__
| / \ | Leszek Gawron // \\
\_\\ //_/ ouzo@vip.net.pl _\\()//_
.'/()\'. Phone: +48(600)341118 / // \\ \
\\ // recursive: adj; see recursive | \__/ |