cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Newbie question about CSS display
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:27:47 GMT
Hello Joe,

Joe Williams wrote:
> Thanks for the response, let me see if this makes things clearer.
>
> I'm not getting an error message, but the formatting changes to the DocBook
> XSL (by means of my CSS) do not appear in the browser.
>
> The URL:
>
> http://myserver:8080/cocoon/book/book
>
> This succeeds in calling the document. When I view the source of the
> displayed HTML, the link to the CSS stylesheet appears:
>
> <link href="book.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

so far everything seems to be clear and ok. Try to access

http://myserver:8080/cocoon/book/book.css

in your browser to see if you get the CSS.

> Therefore, I expect the changes to appear, but they do not. The CSS is in
> the same directory ("book") as the XML source ("book.xml") the XSL
> stylesheet ("book.xsl") and the CSS ("book.css")

This is more or less not interesting for the browser. Important is only the
mapping in the sitemap. You wrote already you have the following two pipelines:

<map:pipeline>
   <map:match pattern="book">
     <map:generate src="book.xml"/>
     <map:transform src="book.xsl">
       <map:parameter name="css-stylesheet" value="book.css"/>
     </map:transform>
     <map:serialize/>
   </map:match>

   <map:match pattern="*.css">
     <map:read src="{1}.css" mime-type="text/css"/>
   </map:match>
</map:pipeline>

Only here (= for the sitemap) the directories are interesting. As you wrote
the pipeline it's correct to have both files in the same directory.

What do you want to reach with

<map:parameter name="css-stylesheet" value="book.css"/>

?? Do you have a global <xsl:param name="css-stylesheet"/> in your book.xsl?
Otherwise the <map:parameter/> is useless. You already configured your
DocBook with

<xsl:param name="html.stylesheet" select="'book.css'"/>

and that's correct.

This only for clarification. Test the stylesheet independent of the DocBook
HTML with "http://myserver:8080/cocoon/book/book.css". If you get it, hmm, I
don't know. If not, what do you get?

> I have not tried Lionel's suggestions yet, but will do so.

Sorry, but this won't help you much. You don't want to include the CSS in
the DocBook HTML, but a <link> element refering to the CSS. So you only must
pass the CSS's name and not the CSS itself to the XSLT stylesheet.

Using document('host:8080/book.css') won't work either, because you can't
read text with it, only XML.

And the third suggestion using a <xsl:template match="/"/> can break the
DocBook transformation completely. Use the parameterization as suggested by
Norman Walsh and as you already did it.

Regards,

Joerg

--