cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Creating a MenuGenerator based on DirectoryGenerator
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 01:16:53 GMT
> Is there a name for this pattern?  That's exactly what a Struts
> ActionForward (or is it Actionmapping?) is!  And there's another name
> for it in Maverick.

Forrest calls it 'Semantic Linking', to quote from
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/linking.html:

"Forrest's solution is simple: instead of <link href="todo.html">, write <link
href="site:todo">, where:

site is a URI 'scheme'; a namespace that restricts the syntax and semantics of the
rest of the URI [rfc2396]. The semantics of 'site' are "this identifier locates something

in the site's XML sources".
todo identifies the content in todo.xml, by reference to a 'node' of content declared in
site.xml.
We call this semantic linking because instead of linking to a physical representation
(todo.html), we've linked to the 'idea' of "the todo file". It doesn't matter where it
physically lives; that will be sorted out by Forrest.

Regards, Upayavira