cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [ANN/OT] xreporter 1.1 release - Avalon/Cocoon-based web database reporting
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:22:43 GMT
Ryan Hoegg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the second announcement I've seen for this project.  I must say,
> from what I've seen of it it fills a large gap in the open source
> enterprise software arena.  Have you considered using the Incubator to
> get this into Apache?  Forrest is a good example of a Cocoon-based
> project that has done the same.

Hi Ryan,

the xReporter community is still very young, and only the first
almost-patches are trickling in ATM. One of the main criteria for
Apache-adoption is the existence of a _diverse_ group of committers, not
residing under one single company umbrella, which unfortunately is the
case ATM with xReporter. Not by intention, just by the young age of the
project.

As much as we are open to the idea of donating the codebase to Apache,
we think the community isn't there yet, and we don't just want to dump
our code for reasons of being 'cool' or the like. We specifically warn
people of the possibility of an eventual donation in our license, so
when the community and interest is there, it might happen.

Re: Forrest, I assume you are referring to Lenya really, since Forrest
is and always has been an Apache project. May I warn you also that Lenya
has not become an Incubating Apache project yet, IIUC.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org