cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Training others on Cocoon - suggestions?
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:54:27 GMT
Thanks Bertrand

I know I always make the mistake of trying to cover
too much!  OTOH, when you say your students did not
cope with "using all the different components involved
without understanding any of them in detail (at first)."
I smile because thats *exactly* the way I do learn;
trying things out to see if they work and only worrying
about understanding much later - that way I quickly
build up a "big picture" without being bogged down.

Derek

>>> bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch 06/02/2003 04:43:39 >>>
>  I am planning on
> covering XSLT in the first part, as their skills are
> weak in this field and I believe this is a key topic
> for effective use of Cocoon.

I don't know your public, but what I've found when mentoring or
teaching people to use Cocoon is that they are often overwhelmed by the

many different technologies and skills involved.

IMHO you can do a lot with some XSLT, some sitemap config, some log
exploration skills, etc. without having to go deep in any of these at
first.

What my students/colleagues found distracting was using all the
different components involved without understanding any of them in
detail (at first).

OTOH I think it's a good idea to start with some XSLT, which can be
disturbing enough for people to warrant being treated separately from
Cocoon.

Hope this helps,
Bertrand