cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Tsui, Alban" <Alban.T...@COGNOS.com>
Subject RE: Something else about Cocoon-2/Tomcat-4.1.18
Date Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:59:00 GMT
You can try something like, for example,

"%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe" -install "MyCocoon"
"%JAVA_HOME%\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll" -Djava.class.path="%JAVACLASSPATH%"
-Dcatalina.home="%CATALINA_HOME%" -Xrs -start
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params start -stop
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params stop -out
"%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stdout.log" -err "%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stderr.log"

to register your cocoon app as a win service. Make sure you set up those
variables correctly, This way you can specify your classpath explicitly I
guess this might help when the service starts up, it will pick up the
correct xerces first.

I am only using tomcat 4.0.1 so not sure if it is the same for your tomcat
but hopefully this will give you a lead to continue.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard In Public [mailto:edification@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: 21 February 2003 12:55
To: cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
Subject: Something else about Cocoon-2/Tomcat-4.1.18

Hi,

Another lead for those struggling to setup Cocoon with Tomcat:

1.  Like several other users, I have been served the following error when
using Cocoon-2 (Win2000/XP, Tomcat 4 JDK1.4.1_01):

org.apache.xml.utils.WrappedRuntimeException:
The output format must have a'{ http://xml.apache.org/xslt}content-handler
<http://xml.apache.org/xslt}content-handler> ' property!

2.  As others have advised on the cocoon-users list, this problem arises
when cocoon is provided with incompatible versions of the Xerces, Xalan or
XML-APIS libraries.  This is resolved by copying the following libraries
(versions correct for coccon-2.1-dev) from %COCOON_HOME%/lib/endorsed/ to
%CATALINA_HOME%/common/endorsed/

xercesImpl-2.1.0.jar
xalan-2.4.1.jar
xml-apis.jar

3.  This solution works for me when I start Tomcat using startup.bat but
*not* when I startup Tomcat as a *service*.  I discovered this after reading
the following paragraph:

> The docs at one point only mentioned %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\endorsed
> but later tomcat versions use -Djava.endorsed.dirs to override
> the standard jdk defined location.
[ from:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-users@xml.apache.org/msg22192.html
<http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-users@xml.apache.org/msg22192.html> ]

I have tried using this parameter
(-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%CATALINA_HOME%/common/endorsed) as a startup
parameter, possibly incorrectly, for the service (via the WindowsXP Service
Properties pane) but this does not seem to help.  If I figure out how to do
this I will post instructions.  In the meantime, perhaps someone else knows
the answer.

Richard