cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Charles Yates <ceya...@stanford.edu>
Subject Re: memory leak using xsl transformer
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:26:24 GMT
   In the absence of 'pruning' by the transformer, XSL requires the
entire document be resident
in memory.  This is because at any point, a template may refer to any
node in the document.
This is a serious limitation when transforming large documents.  While
there has been some
discussion of 'pruning' (intelligently eliminating parts of the document
object that won't be used)
in Xalan, I don't believe there are any implementations of it.  I have
solved a similar problem by
writing a custom Transformer.  Its not that hard.  I extended
AbstractSAXTransformer and
implemented the startTransformingElement() and endTransformingElement()
methods.  The
other option is to buy more memory :-)

Charles