cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Lajos <lm...@galatea.com>
Subject Re: how can i get static files REALLY been processed by apache ???
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:48:01 GMT
Hi Hussayn -

Here is what I do in almost every cocoon app I do:

<map:match pattern="styles.css">
  <map:read mime-type="text/css" src="/styles/styles.css"/>
</map:match>
<map:match pattern="**/styles.css">
  <map:read mime-type="text/css" src="/styles/styles.css"/>
</map:match>

<map:match pattern="*.gif">
  <map:read mime-type="image/gif" src="/images/{1}.gif"/>
</map:match>
<map:match pattern="**/*.gif">
  <map:read mime-type="image/gif" src="/images/{2}.gif"/>
</map:match>

Any gif or css (and you can do the same for jpg, js, etc.) gets
redirected to the appropriate directory off the webserver root, and
hence is served by Apache. So, under Apache's DocumentRoot I have
/images, /styles, /scripts, etc., etc.

Regards,

Lajos

SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous wrote:
> hy,
>
> thats a very pragmatic idea. i like such approaches.
> but, hmm... wouldn't this need lots of "static" links
> in your pages ???
>
> i mean, you really must point to the myapp-static pages
> with absolute links. What about maintenance ... ???
>
> seems as if i need to do it in this way, or let cocoon
> serve everything ;-(
>
> Maybe i can plugin something in to apache, or would it be
> a big problem to get mod_JK do what i want (hacking ...) ???
> I'll go and ask the apache-group ...
> and report back, what i get from there maybe in a Wiki ;-) ?
>
> anyway thanks for the tip...
>
> regards, hussayn
>

> Luca Morandini wrote:
>
>> Hussayn,
>>
>> I know it is not a smart solution, but it worked for me.
>>
>> 1) Setup mod_jk to redirect everything starting with "myapp" to
>> Tomcat/Cocoon
>> 2) Setup an alias named "myapp-static" pointed to a directory
>> containing your static files
>> 3) Use URI like "/myapp/dynamic.htlm" for dynamic content and URI like
>> "/myapp-static/static.html" for static content
>>
>> This has the advantage of scaling up well: we have three web-servers
>> serving the static content ("/myapp-static/*") and one
>> app-server serving the Cocoon-generated content ("/myapp/*").
>>
>> Regards.

>>                Luca Morandini
>>                GIS Consultant
>>               lmorandini@ieee.org
>> http://utenti.tripod.it/lmorandini/index.html

                    Lajos Moczar
     Open Source Support, Consulting and Training
             Cocoon Developer's Handbook
  (www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672322579)

      http://www.galatea.com -- powered by AzSSL