cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Hoegg <rho...@isisnetworks.net>
Subject Re: sample web-app too complex?
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:22:19 GMT
Michael Melhem wrote:

>Hi Christian, I was actually thinking that we could provide a new
>build target that would build a hello-world.war and would contain
>only one or two simple samples.
>
>The object of this hello-world.war would be demonstrate the basic
>features/ideas behind Cocoon without getting bogged down on details.
>Just something simple with extra documentation so that newbies can get
>ther handes dirty real quick.
>
>So instead of having X number of generators|transformers|serializers
>being declared in the components section, we would have one or two
>of each which would make things much easier to follow. We would also
>have only one or two pipelines using say a basic file generator
>to transform an xml file to HTML etc. I think at a minimum the webapp
>would aslo need to show basic use of actions views..
>
>With the current complexity of the webapp Im afraid that perhaps a lot
>of new users might not be able to see the "forrest for the trees".
>
>Does anyone else see value in this?

Good idea Michael,

I have been trying to get my head around Cocoon for a couple months now,
without biting the bullet and devoting a solid week to it.

This approach hasn't been successful yet.  I think your idea may help a lot.

I would like to put in a request that you include a simple example using
a custom generator instead of a flat XML file.  The reason is that I am
coming from a servlet / JSP / struts background instead of a HTML / PHP
/ whatever background.  I want to use Cocoon as a platform for web
applications more than multi-platform publishing.

Thanks,
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks
http://www.isisnetworks.net