cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Piroumian" <kpiroum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CLI
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:34:01 GMT
From: "Robert Sösemann" <robert.soesemann@gmx.de>

> The CLI is part of the cocoon.jar, so is contained in your cocoon version.
>
> You call it by:
>
> BUT, it doesn't work. Noone who ever asked this list for help on the cli
> received a helpful answer. The reason to my opinion is not a lack of
> cooperation, but the lack of experience with the cli and the frustrating
> experience when trying to test it on your own.

Absolutely false statement.

Cocoon CLI *works*! Otherwise you won't get any Cocoon docs/site and there
would be no Forrest project (http://xml.apache.org/forrest). Parts of Apache
XML site are also generated using Cocoon CLI/Forrest.

> In short: I think CLI sucks and doens't work properly. BUT that's no
> problem. There are dozens of  much better web downloader/offline browsers
> make a cocoon site static.

You contradict yourself. If it doesn't work then how could it work
inproperly?

Ines,

Examples of running Cocoon from command line you'll find in Cocoon's
build.xml. Take a look at the 'docs' target:

    <java classname="org.apache.cocoon.Main" fork="true"
dir="${build.context}"
          failonerror="true" maxmemory="128m">
      <arg value="-c."/>
      <arg value="-d../docs"/>
      <arg value="-w../work"/>
      <arg value="-b../brokenlinks.txt"/>
      <arg value="-k../documentation/logkit.xconf"/>
      <arg value="-u${build.docs.loglevel}"/>
      <arg value="-V"/>
      <arg value="index.html"/>
      <classpath>
        <path refid="classpath"/>
        <fileset dir="${build.dir}">
          <include name="*.jar"/>
        </fileset>
        <pathelement location="${tools.jar}"/>
        <pathelement location="${build.context}/WEB-INF/classes"/>
      </classpath>
    </java>

Basically you'll need to set several command line options, then invoke the
jar as you've done below. But Cocoon CLI is not an interactive tool and it
simply works in batch mode. It starts from the URL you've specified in the
command line (it's the index.html in the above snippet).

As for the other tools, then yes, you can use something like wget instead of
Cocoon CLI to generate the static site.

--
  Konstantin