cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Matthew Langham" <mlang...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Time to go back to JSP. Cocoon just isnt ready.
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:24:11 GMT
This type of thing really makes my day. You know actually it does the
project more good than harm. It pays to step back from our day to day Cocoon
euphoria now and again and look at things through other peoples eyes. And
its obvious that some people have difficulties "getting" Cocoon and perhaps
even "getting" open source software in the first place. Now this is not a
criticism. It is a fact.

We (the project) should ask ourselves - what can we do to make peoples life
easier in Cocoon. There is a lot going on (books, wiki, mailing-list help,
documentation) - but there is always room for improvement.

You (the people starting out with Cocoon) should ask yourselves - is an open
source project like Cocoon right for me. Am I prepared for the rough waters
that may lie ahead. If not then perhaps you would be better off using a
commercial "box" product with payed for support. But I am sure that if you
need something like Cocoon - then you will be back.

Of course you may not need something like Cocoon - and that's good also.

Probably the most important lesson we leared when we started out with Cocoon
back in .. (his eyes misted over as he remembered the good old days) .. was
that if you find a bug or something that doesn't work right - then you had
better be prepared to fix it yourself (especially if you are betting the
bank on the open source software). If not - then maybe open source isn't for
you.

Matthew

--
Open Source Group       Cocoon { Consulting, Training, Projects }
Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  mlangham@s-und-n.de - http://www.s-und-n.de