cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Geoff Howard" <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject RE: Cocoon is complex, HOLD ON, WHY IS THIS BOILING UP ?
Date Sun, 26 Jan 2003 04:01:58 GMT

Ok, that's what this minimal build is working toward.  I know
it's now just instructions, but it could soon be part of the
binary dist.

> Do I
> need to copy
> this enormous cocoon config file?

Depends on which one?  sitemap.xmap can be stripped down significantly, as
you'll see when I send you the 5 meg war.  cocoon.xconf could be, but the
idea
is that for most people and needs, you never need to touch it.  It's 27k -
my
advice is just leave it there and don't touch it.  Maybe it should have a
prominent comment at the top declaring that this file is necessary, but
probably won't need to be touched by the end user.

> Haven't they ever heard of
> defaults?

I guess you mean hardcoded in the java in the event the config isn't there?
I'd rather have a file I could go to to see what the defaults are than have
them compiled in.  I think this is a matter of taste, and probably won't
change.

> Do I
> really need to hand modify all his stuff?

No, unless you mean getting to a minimal build.

> Why is everyone telling
> me to build
> the blasted thing from source?

Only because you wanted to get rid of the unnecessary elements, and this is
the
only way to do it for now.  It's changing, but as you can imagine having
seen the
size of this, there's a lot of work to make it simple.

> Cocoon.xconf ? Do I need this in
> my new war?
Yes, it's in the one I'll send and you can leave it alone.

> Holy
> Christ there are allot of jars (28 is still allot .. prepack them in the
> distrib).
I'd think this is a matter of taste, but sure I'll pack them together for
you.

> Logikit? I use log4j for everything else. After all its the best
> logging package ever made! What's with logikit?"

Don't know why logkit was chosen, but this is configurable the the xconf
file, but
I'd advise you to leave it alone at this stage.  But it's exactly that kind
of scenario
that has led to the flexibility/complexity that you see.  The implementation
is hidden
from the user through an abstraction.  Logging in the components I write is
as simple as
getLogger().debug("there you go");
or getLogger().error("there you go");

I don't know much about the internals of either package and don't care for
the most part.

> Those are the things that pop to mind.
>
> Other things vary such as "why the heck wont JBoss let me
> redeploy this sucker?"

Not sure, but if you post that on the list (after searching the mail
archives) I bet
you'll find someone who's run into that.

Do you need to deploy within JBoss though?

> One question I got when I undeployed it from JBoss and dropped it
> back in and
> then hit the URL and watched IE wave its flag at me for 5 min in
> some sort of
> endless loop.

Obviously not normal behavior, but no idea what's going on.  I've never seen
that and guess it's some issue with JBoss that is probably known by JBoss
users.

> -- Robert

Geoff