cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsber...@stjude.org>
Subject RE: proposal: "The Newbies Competence Center" (XSP?)
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:12:18 GMT
 >  Well, you carefully (or not?) snipped out my point that, in the
> end, the XSPs are converted to Java

That's irrelevant; you're still writing proprietary code...

>  - and at least one of the  Cocoon books I read suggests this as a
perfectly vaild way
>  to start off doing your own coding for custom generators.

Absolutely, just understand the tradeoffs you're making in terms of
performance and portability.

> So... I am not sure what you mean by "loss of portability" -

It may not be an issue for you.  For us, we have some requirements to run
our code outside of Cocoon.  They haven't forced us away from Cocoon yet,
but they could in the future.

> All that said, I would be very happy to "upgrade my skills"
> (and design approach) to learn how to develop Cocoon-based
> systems that are both complex and XSP-free.

1st learn Java.  2nd learn XSLT.  :-)

>  If you (or anyone else) would care to share your approach
> and methodology in the form of tutorials and/or examples,
> I am sure I am not the only one who would benefit from it.

The way we do things won't make a lot of sense to you until you have a lot
of Java and XSLT skills.