cocoon-users mailing list archives

From SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <dabb...@saxess.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon Competence Center Updates
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:44:32 GMT
Hy Robert,

I appreciate your honesty.
I hope, you keep with us. I think you can really help
getting this into the next generation...

just a few of my experiences if you don't mind ...

0.) i use to install minimalistic components when
     i start investigating. in this sense i only
     needed tomcat-4.*.* to start. just installed it
     and ready to go...

1.) When i started working with cocoon i first got
     very very frustrated:
     sitemap not working as i expected
     actions, uhh?
     logicsheets, sounds good, howto???
     and so on ...
     I even did not know, what to ask in detail.

3.) very slowly i got a first overview. i only scratched
     the surface and one day (after about two weeks) i got
     hit by realizing the hidden mightiness of the beast.
     "Hey that's great, this works fine,
      ahh what easy going here and there..."
     Until now i still only was playing with the very
     basics (sitemap, generator, protocol handlers)

4.) After reviewing my first experiences with cocoon i came
     to the conclusions:
     - its very complex
     - it has great oportunities
     - it is "complex documented"
     - it moves fast
     - it neads quality assurance to get mature

My decisions:

     - use cocoon in my own projects
     - help cocoon users to get a clear understanding
       with less frustrations

I'm still happy with cocoon and im still only using the very
basics. I am curious where i can get with XSP and ESQL ;-)

regards, hussayn