cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: .Net port of Cocoon
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:40:12 GMT
Andreas Bednarz wrote:

> thank you very much for your comment. Yes, it is all true and I am not a
> friend of MS closed sources in any way. We know Java very well but you
> hardly get peoply who can do the real thinks with Cocoon and can develop
> a real application ... not just some test cases and handler forms. In
> thins case a .NET application would not be easier to handle too, but
> maybe there is some company who can provide a Cocoon Clone which is as
> easy to use as PHP. I mean no memory leaks in the VM, no complicated
> superlong configration files, no VM restarting for debugging etc

please keep in mind that the name 'Apache Cocoon' is protected, and that
it will be up to the discretion of the Apache Cocoon PMC or the ASF
board to let 'other projects' use it.

This doesn't say you are not allowed to port, it just says that you
would not be able to use the name 'Apache Cocoon' without prior
permission. Getting that permission could be tricky, or even more
wicked, creating a subproject _inside_ Apache Cocoon to do a .Net port,
could be a challenge, largely dependent on the community one could
create around such an effort.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org