cocoon-users mailing list archives

From chris vigelius <chris.vigel...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Cocoon the solution?
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 20:40:18 GMT
Darren Petrie wrote:
> Cocoon would definately be a good choice technically.  However what
> you'll have to fight is the mindset of people desiring to use MS Word as
> their authoring tool.  You could try to use a tool such as DocSoft's
> (http://www.docsoft.com) Word-to-XML converter.  However it creates
> generic "presentation" XML and therefore you'll lose the control over
> the look and feel of the site.

I've heard of a commercial plugin for MS Word which lets you create
content based on a DTD. It is called 'Tagless Editor'[1], but I didn't
find the time to test-drive it yet, so I cannot tell whether this is
really useable or not. I also do not know anything about their pricing,
but this *might* be a solution for organisations with end-users not
capable or willing to use anything else than their favorite GUI-editor.

However, I don't think this solves Ines' problem, and I doubt Cocoon is
the solution either, at least not Cocoon alone. I would suggest to check
out the Sunspot portal, which /could/ be useful for this purpose, but to
look at other CMS (content management systems) as well. I'd say Cocoon
is a very flexible *platform* for XML-based applications, which enables
one to *build* a CMS, for example, but Cocoon itself is definitely not
an  out-of-the-box CMS solution.

regards,
  chris

[1] http://www.i4i.com/product_TE.htm