cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Pietschmann <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Problems removing meta tag from the html output in Cocoon
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2003 16:13:32 GMT
> I'm not a developer, but I know that there is configured a "XHTML
> serializer" in the Cocoon sitemap:
>
> <map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.xhtml" mime-type="text/html"
> name="xhtml" pool-grow="2" pool-max="64" pool-min="2"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
> <doctype-public>-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN</doctype-public>
> <doctype-system>http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd</doctype-
>system> <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
> </map:serializer>

This seems to be the standard XML serializer with some convenient defaults.
A proper XHTML serializer should
- Serialize empty elements like <br> as <br />. Note the space before the
  slash for compatibility with older browsers. It should never serialize empty
  elements as <br></br>, as some XML serializers do.
- Perhaps mangle <a href...> URLs which contain spaces/LF properly
- Insert the META element
- Handle a few more idiosyncrasies I forgot.
That's why Saxon has an xhtml output method.

J.Pietschmann