cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Darren Petrie <dpet...@anteon.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon the solution?
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 16:19:18 GMT
Cocoon would definately be a good choice technically.  However what
you'll have to fight is the mindset of people desiring to use MS Word
as their authoring tool.  You could try to use a tool such as DocSoft's
(http://www.docsoft.com) Word-to-XML converter.  However it creates
generic "presentation" XML and therefore you'll lose the control over
the look and feel of the site.

I'm in the same battle now of trying to integrate an XML editor for
people to author with into our business process.  People are
comfortable with Word and resist change.

Darren

On Friday, January 3, 2003, at 12:43 PM, Ines Robbers wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am wondering whether Cocoon is the solution to my problem:
>
> I am working for a university who wants me to redesign their homepage.
> It has to be accessible to everyone (i.e. needs to conform to the Web
> Accessibility Guidelines) and be dead easy in maintanance.
> The problems I have encountered so far are:
> There will be many different people who will edit, update, maintain or
> expand the pages.
> These people in most cases have never seen an html code.
> In fact what they love to do is saving a word doc into html and loading
> it onto the server.
> But all pages are supposed to be in valid XHTML, controled by CSS.
>
> Is this a case for Cocoon?
>
> Could secretaries load up their word docs (and whatever else they get
> into their hands) and the rest Cocoon does for them? I.e. generate XML
> from Word and tranform it into valid, accessible XHTML code?
>
> I would be grateful for your opinions!
> Do you know of any university who is using Cocoon?
>
> Ines

Darren Petrie
dpetrie@anteon.com